Overnight Chile Sausage Strata
- 1 pound hot pork sausage (can use 2 cups diced lean ham)
- 8 eggs
- 8 slices of white bread, crusts removed, cut into ½ inch squares
- ¼ cup butter, cut into ¼ inch squares
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 (4.5 oz) cans green chiles, chopped
- 1½ cups low-fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese shreds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In medium skillet, brown and crumble sausage over medium high heat. Place in colander and rinse with very hot water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs slightly and add the bread, butter, milk, chiles, grated cheese, salt, pepper and cooked sausage crumbles. Mix together and pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or overnight. Bake uncovered in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour, until puffed and golden.
Makes 12 servings Nutrition Information 260 calories, 15 grams fat, 185 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 13 grams carbohydrate, 0 grams fiber, 18 grams protein