Chicken, Shrimp & Ham Jambalya
- 2 pounds medium raw shrimp, unpeeled
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ pound cooked ham, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Peel shrimp, devein, if desired.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove chicken using a slotted spoon.
- Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove ham using a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven; stir to loosen particles from bottom. Stir in ham and chicken. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 35 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp and hot sauce; cook, uncovered, 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Makes 8 servings Nutrition Information 520 calories, 15 grams fat, 245 mg cholesterol, 970 mg sodium, 54 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 52 grams protein